The 5 day tour of Sicily was very good overall. For me the highlight was to be Syracuse, the site of Athens defeat in the Peloponnesian war.

I have read Thucydides (in the original) and am an academic (though not a Hellenist). When the tour guide assured me that Greek temples were not painted I had to walk away and visit the site as best as I could on my own. Unfortunately, never expecting to find such incompetence, I had not studied the site myself and the signs (in Italian) are extremely basic, to the extent there is any signage at all. I have asked Viator for partial credit for the day in Syracuse.

I will return having studied the site myself. Their tour of the Vatican (cost me and my wife over$200) was ok except that the guide did not actually know English. She had apparently memorized a translation of her Italian language tour. She could not understand a word I said.

I speak standard Hollywood English, not some Yorkshire dialect. Unfortunately it is my nature to have questions about many things. I could have asked my questions in Italian but I do not know the right technical terms in Italian (only English and French). Again I have asked for a partial refund and have heard nothing back.

Viator seems to take the attitude that if someone has a license we will use him or her. Unfortunately whoever gives out licenses in Italy must be bribable or incompetent.

Product or Service Mentioned: Viator Tour.

Reason of review: NO QUALITY CONTROL OF GUIDES WHATSOEVER.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

I liked: Easy to book.

I didn't like: Some of the guides.

• Useless Guides
Company wrote 0 private or public responses to the review from Jun 08, 2015.

Comments