We booked a "confirmed" tour during our port day in the Cayman Islands. I admit it was a little inconvenient to start a 4 hour tour at 1pm when our cruise was in port from 10:30am-6pm, but we thought it would give us plenty of time to reach the tour meeting spot without rush and stress.

We took the first tender off the ship to ensure we had time to go to a shop first and have plenty of time. It took us a while to find the tour meeting spot and ask around to make sure it was the right spot. The tour information had said that they would begin picking up people at the hotels, etc thirty minutes before the tour. We made sure we were there as specified in case they hit the port first.

I had also reached out to the local tour company, Amvivo, to make sure they knew our ship information and to verify they would pick us up at the port. We were adequately prepared and excited about our tour. We waited an hour and no one showed. I asked again at the taxi stand to make sure we didn't miss them somehow.

They directed me to Visitor Information saying that the tour almost always cancels. What?!!! We went in to the info booth and they said it happens almost twice a day (don't they only have two tours a day anyway?!). They got the tour operator on the phone and he informed me that the tour had been cancelled and that I had been notified by email.

Although highly disappointed, I took his word on that because I had been on a cruise ship 4 days without email access. I cannot believe they don't even have the common curtesy to meet you in person and make sure you got the message. How many tourists to the Cayman Islands have cell or email service?! If given the opportunity, I would have paid for the 8 person minimum in order to have the tour I scheduled for my only day in the Cayman Islands.

I even told him that on the phone, but he said it was too late. At that point it was too late for me to get on another tour or anything. I did the best I could with the time left and paid a driver to take us to the beach and come back and pick us up at an agreed time. Later, when I was back at port in the US and checked my email.......

NOPE! NO EMAIL FROM EITHER AMVIVO, VIATOR OR TRIP ADVISER NOTIFYING ME THAT OUR TOUR WAS CANCELLED!!!! I'm so disappointed that my tour was cancelled, I was not given any notice whatsoever, and I'm having a hard time getting ahold of Viator to get a refund. They do not make it easy to contact them via email or phone.

Also, since I booked my tour through Viator a month ago, there has been no shortage of email spam from them. I have received emails at the rate of one or more a day!!! Buyer Beware!

They will easily take your money and cancel the tour without notice, and once you're on their list, will continue to invade your inbox daily trying to sell more to you! Booooo!

Review about: Viator Tour Booking.

Comments