I only had a couple days in Shanghai so decided to do a day tour. After looking at those available, I usually check Trip Advisor to see who other travelers have had good experiences with. Then I usually contact the tour operator directly to reserve.

Unfortunately, this time I booked on Trip Advisor which uses Viator.

The ad for the tour I picked indicated pick up and delivery at my hotel. I specifically insisted in my booking that they should not charge my card until after confirming my hotel pick up. The charge went through in less than 10 minutes. I then tried to contact Viator's famed 24/7 Customer Service for help. I wanted to see why they ignored my direction not to charge before confirming hotel pick up. I did not receive any sort of response until the next day. In the long run I received three emails from the Viator that obviously came from a set of canned responses and was basically told, "too bad".

I got help from locals and figured out how to use taxis. Having to get the start of the tour and back to my hotel added almost 3 hours to my day and cost me an additional $40.

I would strongly recommend that anyone reserving a tour do so directly with the tour provider so that they don't have to endure an uncaring middle man.

This reviewer shared experience about order processing issue and wants this business to read this review and look into the issue (if any). This person is overall dissatisfied with Viator. Reviewer wants customer support to reach our to him or her ASAP for further discussion of this matter.

Also, you can continue reading comments about Viator.

Check out the best and the worst companies in Travel Agencies category for more informed decision or compare Viator to other companies on our site.

Had an Experience with Viator?

Comments

ViatorSocialTeam
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States #1212335
Viator Verified Representative

Hello,

Thank you for your message and comments.We would like to address some of the concerns you have indicated.

Please note that our booking system is automated. There is no way to 'hold a charge' once a booking has been placed. If you wish to verify any information before a charge is made, we recommend contacting Viator first, and only placing your booking once you are ready. Essentially, all bookings are paid for when they are placed.

As we do use many different tour operators, the pickup locations may be different for each tour. Some of the tour operators have chosen specific hotel pickup lists, which can be viewed on the brochure website page for the tour. Some tour operators play the pickup lists by ear depending on who has booked with them, and where they are staying.

Our call center agents can usually verify pickup for you if you are calling when the tour operator is also open.

They will then be happy to place the booking for you, and leave notes in your account concerning your pickup and who they spoke with at the tour operator to confirm your pickup location.

We do hope this information helps.

We thank you again for your comments, and hope that you otherwise had an excellent holiday.

All the Best, Viator Social Team