I will not go into specific details, but when a very sudden illness made a tour purchase impossible we were forced to cancel last minute. I supplied customer service with a detailed accounting of the events.

The company adheres to a 24 hour cancellation window and evidently will not make exceptions for full or partial refund. Customer service is not helpful, and did not make any exceptions for a valid explanation.

I will not be giving my business to these companies in the future and will certainly encourage my family, friends and fellow travelers to avoid doing business with them. It would be wise to avoid doing any travel business with either Viator or TripAdvisor in the future.

Reason of review: Return, Exchange or Cancellation Policy.

I didn't like: Customer service and thier response.

Comments

As a tour operator, canceling right before the tour hurts us. We schedule our guides according to bookings and we still have to pay them, even if guests don't show.

Some of our guides have other gigs or jobs. When we cancel, they have to be paid, because they gave up other work to be available. TA/Viator just switched from a 7-day cancellation to a 24-hour. This has really hurt tour operators.

That is too late of notification to fill those spots, so we lose the revenue.Even though your sickness is out of your control, why would you expect the tour company to absorb the financial loss? Bad luck for sure, but bad taste expecting others to pay for it.