Prague, Prague
Number of Destinations

Update by user Jul 31, 2016

For Reference: Viator Itinerary Number: IT-1004894344

Original review posted by user Jul 31, 2016

I recently used the Viator app to book excursions on a multi-city European vacation and encountered a plethora of issues. Of the 6 tours booked, all confirmed except 1 which I had to cancel 3 days before since I never received confirmation and needed to make alternative arrangements. Of the remaining 6, here's what happened:

Tour 1 - Prague River Cruise - Despite the instructions stating the vendor accepted both printed and e-reservations (through the app), the vendor required the original email from Viator confirming the purchase. As I had no wireless coverage, I had to quickly locate a place with wi-fi access to retrieve the email and nearly missed the tour.

Tour 2 - Prague Hot Air Balloon Ride - Unfortunately cancelled due to weather conditions. The vendor advised a refund would be processed but I never received it. I initiated a cancellation request directly with Viator and was told 7-10 days was needed to confirm with the vendor. After 2 weeks of no response I was in contact again - forwarding emails from the vendor and demanding a refund. They advised a refund was processed, but for about $50 less than the amount paid. I have now filed a dispute directly with my credit card as I have been battling this for 5 weeks to no avail.

Tour 3 - Bratislava Day Trip (from Vienna) - All went as planned, however the tour portion was only upon arrival to Bratislava and we were put on coach busses with regular travelers. With no guide, there was much confusion about who was on the tour and where to go upon arrival.

Tour 4 - Budapest River Cruise - Tour company did not pick us up as scheduled for transportation to our boat. After calls by our hotel concierge to the vendor, a taxi was sent to pick us up and we nearly missed the cruise. The boat was quite outdated in decor and upkeep, poor ventilation and limited views as there was no upper deck. For the price we paid (nearly $60 USD per person) we could have made local reservations for a cheaper price on a much nicer boat.

Tour 5 - Budapest Scenic Flight - Cancelled due to weather and promptly refunded by Viator (by my own initiated request).

Conceptually this is a great service, but the logistics, communications and customer service issues outweighed any convenience. I will not use Viator in the future and will book directly with local providers as it eliminates the middle man and also appears to be the same price or cheaper than the rates Viator charges. I look forward to may happy travels ahead without Viator being part of my itinerary!

Product or Service Mentioned: Viator Tour Booking.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

I liked: Easy to book.

I didn't like: Customer service, Poor communication, Value of services, Electronic ticketing, Quality of transportation.

Company wrote 0 private or public responses to the review from Jul 31, 2016.

Comments